2017-11-20

Minimize the high environmental cost of building

I am committed to minimizing the high environmental cost of building. Wherever practical, I reduce, reuse, and recycle. First, I design to minimize waste. Standard shed wall sizes are 7' 9", 11' 9", and 15' 9" to reduce waste materials and keep costs down. "Waste" wood gets sorted, raw wood goes into burnable bin. Even sawdust gets re-purposed. I avoid using pressure treated wood when possible, and then avoid cutting into it, which creates dust, waste, and the need to re-seal. I use water-based, low-VOC (volatile organic compound) paints and glues. I continually educate myself on best practices and materials. When practical, I use locally sourced materials.

Steel and concrete used in building construction contribute significantly to environmental pollution.
For further research:
"What Building Material (wood, steel, concrete) Has The Smallest Overall Environment Impact?" 

http://cascadewindows.com/ Cascade Windows are manufactured in Oregon.  Miller Paints is an Oregon company. Allura siding is a Rogue Valley company, but the product is shipped to a warehouse in Washington state before it is retailed.

No comments: