2011-02-09

How I Measure Up

How I Measure Up
I have measured quality of life in teacups
I have measured my education with a ruler
I measured the moon with my thumb
I measure hurry and boredom with a clock
Human kindness I weigh in a thimble
Money I do not number but arrange by author like fiction
The time between sunrise and sunset I measure
By how much I can jam in or leave out
Distance I measure in hours and days
We have a number for measuring the mind
When the sun is highest, that is not noon
All clocks bow to the satellite
Each day I consecrate to some obscure god or occult planet
Each year insert two Popes between six and seven
Except February which has 28.
Pick a new starting date and number backwards from there.
I am still using a calendar from 1491 as flat as the Earth once was
I measure years in waiting
Streets in stop lights
I draw straight lines on maps
I am so sure I am right.

No comments: